Saturday 31 March 2012

Here's to tears and turning corners

Hello. It's been a while - feels like an age - since I did a blog post. It's been a heavy few months indeed. I've had my head down, grafting away in survival mode I suppose, both of us have. It's been a difficult transition moving to New Zealand, much more so than I ever could have anticipated. It's deep-level stuff, psychological and emotional, unseen and thus unexpected; certainly caught me off guard. So much of what we expected has been dashed or severely reevaluated, and yet ultimately, what a positive experience.

I remember just before we left the states I wrote a post about negative spaces and the like, but it seems as if I had it wrong somehow. Silence, like shadow, is the true negative space, the no-thing that defines the some-thing, and my absence from this blog has been its expression. I used to be the kind of person who would never proclaim a positive experience or a fortunate turn of events for fear of jinxing it, but thankfully I'm not like that anymore. During the past week or so it has felt like Wellington, the land here, has begun to open up for us, slowly, but definitely surely. It's an awesome feeling, like taking a huge deep breath after climbing a particularly nasty mountain. I don't want to make a big deal out of this, I just wanted proclaim the turning of a corner, there on the deep, unseen level . And also to say hey and hi and wow and thank you.

'On the surface there, where eyes shine like midnight pines and smile saw-tooth grins.'

P.S. There's a song if you click the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment