Sunday 9 October 2011

Feeding the calf

One of the sad realities of the life of a dairy cow, is that the baby is taken away from the mum at some point. Star has been weened from her mum on Thursday last week and was very successfully introduced to the bottle by Chris. It is now my job to feed the two babies (the lamb and the calf) who are snuggling together in the same stall..an overdose of cuteness.








I feel sorry for both calf and mum, but am realising that I need to toughen up considerably when it comes to farm animals. You simply cannot treat them as humans or domestic animals. Oh dear... it will take a lot of work on my part! I have already spoilt the lamb rotten, only to realise after being advised by a very wise friend that he needs to endure the headbutting from the goats in order to grow up and know his place. Much to learn yet!

1 comment: